Monday, June 21, 2010

Finger Paints Picasso's Puce

I am sure you will all be disappointed, but last night I was too engrossed in watching Sex and the City season four on DVD to put any nail art on this manicure, but I do promise I will do it soon. But, so as not to leave you out in the cold without Monday nail love, I am going to post my NOTD. I apologize for the quality of the picture - I was having one of those days (and don't you dare say it was a case of the Mondays!) with my camera and couldn't get a good one. It is at least pretty color accurate even with the bright sunlight, so if you can forgive the particles of paper fiber on my nails, you should at least get an idea of today's color, Finger Paints Picasso's Puce.

Finger Paints, for those who aren't familiar with them, is a Sally Beauty Supply brand of polishes that is surprisingly awesome, and has grown more so over the last two years. Recently, they overhauled their core line and added some really amazing colors, so on top of that and their great application and wear, I give this brand an enthusiastic thumbs up.

However, they are second perhaps only to OPI in having some of the most groan worthy names in the polish business (which may be why people often mistakenly think they are made by the same company - they are not). This one isn't terrible, but they do often try to make some mention of art in the names with a clever polish pun, which produces names like Hue Rang?, Easel-y Entertained, and Be a Pal-Ette. Awful.

But I digress. Many of you may be wondering, what the heck is puce? This is where I confess something to my loyal readers: I often buy polishes just for the name. Yes, it is true, but it may make it more understandable how I have amassed so many bottles. I have always gotten a giggle from the color "puce" which I first learned in the 1985 movie, "Santa Claus: The Movie" with Dudley Moore and John Lithgow. In the movie, they are brainstorming what color to make the magic lollipops to make kids fly, and they consider coloring them puce. I mean, what a putrid name for a color, isn't it? Puce is traditionally accepted as lying somewhere on the purplish-brown end of the reddish- to purplish brown spectrum, but could be anywhere in that range, as this one is. It is decidedly more reddish-brown, sort of like the color one would imagine if they made a nail polish out of the color of redwood trees. In the bottle there is a strong gold flash, but it doesn't really translate to the nail.

As for application, like many of the other newer Finger Paints, this really went on like a dream, dried quickly, and has worn exceptionally well through almost 10 hours of typing. It's not really a color I would normally choose, but I like it and it works well on my extremely pale skin, though I think it would flatter most skin shades.

Well, enough of my rambling! Hopefully I can convince myself to do some nail art later, but I'm going to be cooking some pretty epic food for dinner, so it may not happen. At the very least, I will probably repaint, so expect to see another post soon. Until then, Polish to the People!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad you like it! I don't think I've seen much about it at all around the various nail boards, so i figured it needed a little love!

    ReplyDelete